Wednesday, October 14, 2009

I've got a bug infestation!

I love it when people suggest ideas for cupcakes. So when a friend of mine asked if I could one day attempt some little Lady Bird ones I couldn't stop thinking about how rad they could be. So I put out the call to my friends, "If you were a Lady Bird cupcake what flavor would you be?" Eventually I decided they would have to be Red Velvet.
Now I think Red Velvet cake is chronically under rated, and not often talked about outside of the States. But if you want an alternative to a chocolate cake I really recommend it. When I make it I actually use about the same amount of cocoa as a normal chocolate cake (about 3 Tbs), the combination of the chocolate, butter milk and intense color is really a treat. It's so moist and light, GET INVOLVED!

RED VELVET CAKE

Ingredients

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 1/2 cups sugar

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon cocoa powder

1 1/2 cups vegetable oil

1 cup buttermilk, room temperature

2 large eggs, room temperature

2 tablespoons red food coloring

1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Icing

150g cream cheese, softened

1/4 C butter milk

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar

Directions

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees

1. Sift flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder

2. In a large bowl

beat oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla.

3. Fold in dry ingredients until well combined

4. Fill cupcake pans (or you can make a pretty cool and dramatic full sized cake) and bake for 20 min, checking after 15 min

5. Combine all your icing ingredients and decorate the fully cooled cakes inspired by any bugs you choose!

Fresh out of the oven!

The finished product.


What can I say, my mom was PRETTY IMPRESSED!


No comments:

Post a Comment