Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Be still my beating heart.

Like a lot of vegans I know, the turning point for me from vegetarianism to veganism came in the form of Jonathan Fafran Foers book Eating Animals. I'd been a huge fan for a while but had held off delving into his first work of non-fiction because quite honestly, I was afraid it would turn me vegan. And I wasn't sure if I was ready to give up my cheese-wheel-a-night habit. Turns out my fears were founded as his engaging, witty, thoughtful and at time beautiful book is a pretty strong argument. I would always suggest it not only to new vegans but also vegetarians, as Foer is himself actually a vegetarian.
It's a really clear and accessible way to rap your head around a huge issue. And I found helpful in also addressing a lot of the emotional implications of our relationships with the foods we eat. Of course the god fathers of consumerism literature like Michael Pollan are always going to be called up first to give addresses on these issues, but I'd take Foer any day for his ability to make sustainable eating seem very possible.
Tying in with my little love in is this really cool interview I found with him from motherjones.com, another really engaging and interesting resource. It encapsulates a lot of his arguments from the book, which I really recommend you check out. Without wanting to sound like too much of a douche bag, it may just change the way you look at your dinner plate forever.

http://motherjones.com/environment/2009/11/jonathan-safran-foer



I'm not convinced of your vegetarian credentials Jonathan, because you appear to be EATING MY HEART OUT!

No comments:

Post a Comment