It’s actually true. They are. I’m don’t even think I’m going to write anything funny here because the brownies speak for themselves. I will make an observation though. Some things are legitimately more delicious when made vegan. I personally prefer vegan pies, because they always have to seek out freaky good ingredients like weird mushrooms to stay legit. And the same goes for brownies. Well not in the mushroom sense. Well not here at least. A lot of vegan sweet things seem to replace animal products with more sugar and chocolate and bits and pieces. I’m not sure of the science. But I sure am happy with the results.
2 x 150g blocks of dark chocolate, as a general rule anything over 70% cocoa is usually dairy free, but remember to check
200g jam, I used strawberry but whatever you got around
1/4 C. soy milk
3/4 C. sugar
1/2 C. rice bran oil, this is my choice for cooking but any low flavor oil will do. Just stay away from the olive oil
2 t vanilla extract
1/2 t almond extract
1 1/2 C. flour
1/4 C. cocoa
3/4 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
Tub of strawberries roughly chopped, could use 1 C. of berries also
Your crew for this evening.
1. Pre heat the oven to 160
2. Melt one block of chocolate over a double boiler, or lacking that a metal bowl over a pot of water on the stove
3. Chop up other block of chocolate and set aside for now
4. In a large bowl mix your jam, milk, sugar, oil and extracts. Beat well to get all of the lumps out of the jam, you want it nice and smooth
5. Sift in all of your dry ingredients, mix well using a fork because the batter will be pretty thick.
White christmas. Almost.
6. Finally fold in your fruit and remaining chocolate
Whose a pretty birdie?
7. Pour into a brownie dish, don’t stress if it doesn’t fill the pan right to the corners, the batter will spread while baking
8. Bake for 45 minutes or until the top is soft but crinkly
9 Wait until cool, slice and enjoy! They’re pretty amazing warm with some non dairy ice cream but also keep awesomely for days.
TADAAAA! And remember, you don't have to be pretty to have it going on!
NOTE: The usual tooth pick test doesn’t really work here for letting you know if they’re cooked an account of all the chunks of melted chocolate. So you’ll have to go by sight. But don’t stress too much, soft brownies are always yum.